Monday, March 15, 2010

crazy day in varanasi

I started of the day with a lovely sunny morning sitting on my balcony observing a big monkey family jumping and climbing on the roof tops, one of them even sat on my balcony for a while and another one walked through my room, couldn't have a nicer shanti morning. After breakfast by the river with ivo, kiyo and johanna with decided to go out for an adventure with Indie and Sasha to a village a bit outside Varanasi. We got there by horse and carriage and walked for hours (the entire day) around this village, talking to people and playing with the children. They were very strange looking people and looked very unsymmetrical, some had narrowed eyes, some very big mouths, some with very small noses, so strange but very beautiful in their own way and so excited and full of joy. We also walked passed a small ashram were they very old baba's telling crazy stories and showing off their skills by lifting heavy stones, they also showed us some very old indian coins that are worth lots of moneys. After walking around the whole day we decided to take a boat back which was gave us a new sight of Varanasi looking from the river, lots of old buildings, towers, people washing their clothing, going for a swim and it was beautiful sunset light. Very nice boat ride until we passed a ceremony of burning corps and we saw a little dead child floating in the river. Varanasi is known for this, people come here to die and they burn the bodies, but not the children, they get drowned but this one had come up to the surface again. It was an awful sight but at the same time its so normal in Varanasi so its hard to realise and know how react to it. After a long day with lots of emotional moments (good ones and sad ones), we sat on the rooftop of our guesthouse and I was having I miss woodstock moment and out of nowhere a group of people came up the stairs with instruments asking if it was ok for them to jam a little bit. Within seconds I almost felt like I was back in woodstock again, very nice :) this also made me decide to go back (yes I'm going back to arambol again) so we changed our flights and coming home to woodstock with ivo and kiyo on friday for our last few days before going back to Norway. I'm very excited and so happy to be able to spend some more days there!

No comments:

Post a Comment